We’ve all been there: feeling crushed beneath the weight of life’s challenges, ready to throw in the towel.
It’s no surprise that you’re searching for that spark—those giving up quotes that will rekindle the fire within you when you feel like quitting.
You connect with quotes about giving up because they echo the familiar “sometimes I feel like giving up” moments you’ve battled through in the past.
Sometimes, all it takes is a single, powerful quote to awaken the sleeping giant within us.
I recall a dear friend who had weathered unimaginable storms once sharing with me:
Believe me, we’re stronger than we know. We’re more resilient than we ever imagined.
Those words struck me like lightning, igniting a surge of energy and determination like nothing else could.
For you, it could be any one of these 100 quotes for when you feel like giving up that will fuel your willpower when you’re on the edge of surrendering.
So, when you’re feeling overwhelmed, take a step back and grant yourself a much-needed pause.
Brew a cup of your go-to beverage and soak up the inspiration from these 100 motivational giving up quotes when you feel like giving up.
Let the age-old wisdom wash over you, energise your spirit, and remind you that you’re capable of so much more than you think.
And don’t forget to share these potent quotes for when you feel like giving up with those you care about.
It might just be the nudge they need to rise above their challenges, overcome the urge to give up, and reclaim their power, too.
Strengthen Your Resolve: 100 Giving Up Quotes for When Life Gets Hard
1. Overcoming Challenges: Robert Frost’s Encouragement
The best way out is always through.
2. Rising Above Competition: Ken Venturi’s Determination
I don’t believe you have to be better than everybody else. I believe you have to be better than you ever thought you could be.
3. Seizing Opportunities: William Butler Yeats’ Advice
Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.
William Butler Yeats
4. The Power of Persistence: Jim Rohn’s Wisdom
How long should you try? Until.
5. Overcoming Defeat: F. Scott Fitzgerald’s Resilience
Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat.
F. Scott Fitzgerald
6. Creating Your Path: Philip Sidney’s Determination
Either I will find a way, or I will make one.
7. The Importance of Hard Work: George Lucas’ Insight
Working hard is extremely important. You’re not going to get anywhere without working extremely hard.
8. Taking Action: Horace’s Motivation
Don’t think, just do.
9. Accepting Responsibility: Katharine Hepburn’s Self-Awareness
We are taught you must blame your father, your sisters, your brothers, the school, the teachers – but never blame yourself. It’s never your fault. But it’s always your fault, because if you wanted to change you’re the one who has got to change.
10. Realising Dreams: Walt Disney’s Belief
If you can dream it, you can do it.
11. Facing Problems Head-On: Alfred A. Montapert’s Attitude
Expect problems and eat them for breakfast.
Alfred A. Montapert
12. The Power of Will: Pauline Kael’s Tenacity
Where there is a will, there is a way. If there is a chance in a million that you can do something, anything, to keep what you want from ending, do it. Pry the door open or, if need be, wedge your foot in that door and keep it open.
13. Embracing New Beginnings: Eleanor Roosevelt’s Optimism
With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.
14. Turning Problems into Opportunities: Robert H. Schuller’s Perspective
Problems are not stop signs, they are guidelines.
Robert H. Schuller
15. Maintaining Childlike Wonder: Randy Pausch’s Enthusiasm
Never lose the childlike wonder. Show gratitude… Don’t complain; just work harder… Never give up.
16. Protecting Your Dreams: Maeve Greyson’s Confidence
No one has the power to shatter your dreams unless you give it to them.
17. Embracing Courage: Ralph Waldo Emerson’s Determination
Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires courage.
18. The Value of Hard Work and Perseverance: Hope Hicks’ Dedication
There is no substitute for hard work. Never give up. Never stop believing. Never stop fighting.
19. Self-Belief: Sugar Ray Robinson’s Confidence
To be a champ, you have to believe in yourself when nobody else will.
20. The Power of Persistence: Conrad Hilton’s Success
Successful men and women keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don’t quit.
21. Staying Positive: Elvis Presley’s Advice
When things go wrong, don’t go with them.
22. The Importance of Resilience: Reshma Saujani’s Determination
Never give up. People will always discount you, and you’ll always get rejected. But set your sights high. Be boldly ambitious. Be relentless and never give up.
23. The Value of Persistence: William Feather’s Dedication
Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go.
24. Patience and Persistence: Albert Einstein’s Wisdom
It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.
25. Unwavering Determination: Masashi Kishimoto’s Resolve
Give up trying to make me give up.
26. The Importance of Perseverance: Confucius’ Wisdom
It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.
27. Focusing on Potential: Pope John XXIII’s Optimism
Consult not your fears but your hopes and your dreams. Think not about your frustrations, but about your unfulfilled potential. Concern yourself not with what you tried and failed in, but with what it is still possible for you to do.
Pope John XXIII
28. The Impact of Action: William James’ Encouragement
Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.
29. Choosing Motivation: Wayne Dyer’s Perspective
Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it’s always your choice.
30. The Power of Persistence: Winston Churchill’s Dedication
Never give up on something that you can’t go a day without thinking about.
31. Maintaining Balance: Albert Einstein’s Wisdom
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.
32. Creating Opportunities: George Bernard Shaw’s Proactivity
People are always blaming circumstances for what they are. I don’t believe in circumstances. The people who get ahead in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can’t find them, make them.
33. Embracing Potential: George Eliot’s Encouragement
It is never too late to be what you might have been.
34. Learning from Failure: Elbert Hubbard’s Wisdom
There is no failure except in no longer trying.
35. Embracing Unexpected Outcomes: Dalai Lama’s Insight
Remember that sometimes, not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.
36. The Importance of Dreams: Emma Goldman’s Inspiration
When we can’t dream any longer we die.
37. Overcoming Obstacles: Robert Kraft’s Persistence
A lot of people have their big dreams and get knocked down and don’t have things go their way. And you never give up hope, and you really just hold on to it. Hard work and perseverance. You just keep getting up and getting up, and then you get that breakthrough.
38. Rising Against the Odds: Jesse Jackson’s Determination
If you fall behind, run faster. Never give up, never surrender, and rise up against the odds.
39. Achieving the Impossible: Nelson Mandela’s Belief
It always seems impossible until it’s done.
40. Unlocking Potential: Johann Wolfgang von Goethe’s Magic
Magic is believing in yourself. If you can do that, you can make anything happen.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
41. The Power of Dreams: Richard E. Grant’s Motivation
Never give up. You only get one life. Go for it!
Richard E. Grant
42. Pursuing Success: Jimmy Smits’ Dedication
There are no right and wrong ways to work in this business, but there are some basic common-sense practices. Work very, very hard and always be prepared; never give up; and once you get the job, give them more than they ever expected: – Shine!
43. Improving Your Future: Ralph Marston’s Encouragement
What you do today can improve all your tomorrows.
44. Embracing Failure: Jane Addams’ Regret
Nothing could be worse than the fear that one had given up too soon, and left one unexpended effort that might have saved the world.
45. Finding Hope in Hopelessness: Anne Lamott’s Determination
The reason I never give up hope is because everything is so basically hopeless.
46. Overcoming Doubt: Sheldon Cahoon’s Confidence
When someone tells you that you can’t do something, perhaps you should consider that they are only telling you what they can’t do.
47. Turning the Tide: Harriet Beecher Stowe’s Perseverance
When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.
Harriet Beecher Stowe
48. The Power of Persistence: Thomas A. Edison’s Wisdom
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
Thomas A. Edison
49. Persevering Through Adversity: Winston Churchill’s Strength
When you are going through hell, keep on going. Never never never give up.
50. Overcoming Defeat: Maya Angelou’s Resilience
We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.
51. The Value of Action: Benjamin Franklin’s Wisdom
Well done is better than well said.
52. Overcoming Time Fears: Earl Nightingale’s Perspective
Don’t let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use.
53. Persevering With a Smile: Yani Tseng’s Attitude
I will keep smiling, be positive and never give up! I will give 100 per cent each time I play. These are always my goals and my attitude.
54. Believing in Yourself: Christian D. Larson’s Confidence
Believe in yourself and all that you are. Know that there is something inside you that is greater than any obstacle.
Christian D. Larson
55. Learning from Failure: Thomas Edison’s Experience
I have not failed, I have just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.
56. Overcoming Odds: Elon Musk’s Ambition
When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
57. Pursuing Passion: George Lucas’ Dedication
You have to find something that you love enough to be able to take risks, jump over hurdles and break through the brick walls that are always going to be placed in front of you. If you don’t have that kind of feeling for what it is you are doing, you’ll stop at the first giant hurdle.
58. Aiming High: Ralph Waldo Emerson’s Ambition
We aim above the mark to hit the mark.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
59. Never Giving Up: Edin Dzeko’s Persistence
I always try to do my best. Sometimes is that enough to get a good result, sometimes not, but I never give up, and I never will.
60. Embracing Change: Jim Rohn’s Adaptability
If you don’t like how things are, change it! You’re not a tree.
61. The Power of Persistence: Babe Ruth’s Tenacity
You just can’t beat the person who never gives up.
62. Believing in Yourself: Marta’s Confidence
Never give up, and be confident in what you do. There may be tough times, but the difficulties which you face will make you more determined to achieve your objectives and to win against all the odds.
63. Embracing Risk: Albert Einstein’s Courage
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
64. Quiet Courage: Mary Anne Radmacher’s Strength
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I’ll try again tomorrow.
Mary Anne Radmacher
65. Believing in Success: Nikos Kazantzakis’ Confidence
In order to succeed, we must first believe that we can.
66. The Value of Failure: Charles F. Kettering’s Wisdom
One fails forward toward success.
Charles F. Kettering
67. Designing Your Life: Jim Rohn’s Responsibility
If you don’t design your own life plan, chances are you’ll fall into someone else’s plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.
68. The Power of Will: Orison Swett Marden’s Determination
A will finds a way.
Orison Swett Marden
69. The Strength of Dreams: Leila Lopes’ Perseverance
I never give up, even when people tell me that I can’t do something. But if I believe I can, I really fight for it.
70. Becoming a Better Version of Yourself: Madonna’s Growth
No matter who you are, no matter what you did, no matter where you’ve come from, you can always become a better version of yourself.
71. Committing to Action: George Lucas’ Determination
No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
72. Holding Onto Your Dreams: Simon Sinek’s Persistence
Don’t quit. Never give up trying to build the world you can see, even if others can’t see it. Listen to your drum and your drum only. It’s the one that makes the sweetest sound.
73. The Power of Belief: John Burroughs’ Confidence
If you think you can do it, you can.
74. Pressing Forward: George Whitefield’s Determination
Press forward. Do not stop, do not linger in your journey, but strive for the mark set before you.
75. Pursuing Improvement: Thomas A. Edison’s Innovation
There’s a way to do it better – find it.
Thomas A. Edison
76. Seizing the Moment: Wayne Dyer’s Urgency
Go for it now. The future is promised to no one.
77. Embracing Adversity: Charlie Jones’ Resilience
Things don’t go wrong and break your heart so you can become bitter and give up. They happen to break you down and build you up so you can be all that you were intended to be.
78. Setting Goals: Napoleon Hill’s Ambition
A goal is a dream with a deadline.
79. Creating Luck: Brian Tracy’s Proactivity
I’ve found that luck is quite predictable. If you want more luck, take more chances. Be more active. Show up more often.
80. Expanding Your Abilities: Lucille Ball’s Growth
The more things you do, the more you can do.
81. Taking the First Step: William Wordsworth’s Initiative
To begin, begin.
82. Unlocking Personal Excellence: Confucius’ Keys
The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential… these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence.
83. Pushing Limits: Herbert A. Simon’s Exploration
One finds limits by pushing them.
Herbert A. Simon
84. Recognising the Brink of Success: Thomas Edison’s Persistence
Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
85. Holding Onto Hope: C.J. Redwine’s Inspiration
It’s probably my job to tell you life isn’t fair, but I figure you already know that. So instead, I’ll tell you that hope is precious, and you’re right not to give up.
86. The Power of Positivity: Norman Vincent Peale’s Motivation
It’s always too early to quit.
Norman Vincent Peale
87. Overcoming Regret: Jim Rohn’s Resolve
The worst thing one can do is not to try, to be aware of what one wants and not give in to it, to spend years in silent hurt wondering if something could have materialized – never knowing.
88. Moving Forward Despite Falling: Victor Kiam’s Urgency
Even if you fall on your face, you’re still moving forward.
89. Rising After Falling: Nelson Mandela’s Resilience
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
90. Self-Created Inner Depths: Richard Rorty’s Ambition
There is nothing deep down inside us except what we have put there ourselves.
91. Room at the Top: Daniel Webster’s Proactivity
There is always room at the top.
92. Pressing On Towards the Future: Barack Obama’s Growth
The future rewards those who press on. I don’t have time to feel sorry for myself. I don’t have time to complain. I’m going to press on.
93. The End and the Journey: Fernando Sabino’s Initiative
In the end, everything will be okay. If it’s not okay, it’s not yet the end.
94. Encouragement to Not Give Up: Sidney Sheldon’s Keys
Don’t give up. There are too many nay-sayers out there who will try to discourage you. Don’t listen to them. The only one who can make you give up is yourself.
95. Intensity in Actions: Robert Henri’s Exploration
Do whatever you do intensely.
96. Defying Age, Weariness, and Defeat: Rose Kennedy’s Persistence
I know not age, nor weariness nor defeat.
97. Backing Up but Never Giving Up: Chuck Yeager’s Inspiration
You do what you can for as long as you can, and when you finally can’t, you do the next best thing. You back up but you don’t give up.
98. Winners and Quitters: Ted Turner’s Motivation
You can never quit. Winners never quit, and quitters never win.
99. The Power of Big Dreams: H. Jackson Brown, Jr.’s Resolve
Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than the one with all the facts.
H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
100. Focusing on Light in Dark Moments: Aristotle Onassis’ Guidance
It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.
Final Thoughts on Giving Up Quotes for Perseverance
As we reach the end of this collection of powerful giving up quotes for when you feel like giving up, we hope that these words of wisdom have reignited your motivation and inspired you to keep pushing forward.
Remember, life is full of challenges, and it’s our ability to persevere through adversity that truly defines our strength.
Whenever you find yourself on the verge of giving up or wanting to quit, revisit these quotes about giving up as a reminder of the resilience that lies within you.
Take the time to reflect on the lessons these quotes offer and use them as a source of empowerment to overcome obstacles and chase after your dreams.
No matter what life throws your way, always remember that you have the power to keep going when you feel like quitting.
Embrace the journey, and let these inspiring quotes for when you feel like giving up be your guiding light on the path to success.
Looking for additional motivation? Don’t miss our collection of When Going Gets Tough Quotes: Motivational Nuggets for Tough Times to further fuel your resilience.
You Might Also Enjoy…
Share this post ❤ 😊 🙏